Nuts and nutty desserts may be available year-round. Come holiday time, the crunchy halves, pieces, slivers. Bits take a starring role in sweets. Here are a few easy methods for adding roasty, toasty flavour with nuts:
1. Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts to pie fillings.
2. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped nuts over over-faced pies and tarts.
3. Switch out a plain piecrust for a nut-based crust.
4. Stir 1 cup chopped nuts into cake batters, quick bread batters. Cookie doughs.
5. Substitute ground nuts or nut flours for one-third of the flour called for in a recipe.
Looking for nutty inspiration? Try these dessert classics: