Nothing is better than a nice bowl of hot vegetable soup. Here is a favorite recipe for vegetable soup using high quality, fresh vegetables in a beef based broth. This colorful soup is not only visually appealing it is also very healthy for you. Once you’ve tried this recipe, experiment with the vegetables of your choice. For an added treat, roast the vegetables in the oven until they become tender and begin to caramelize.
While the soup calls for no meat, cooked ground turkey, ground beef, or ground sirloin meatballs are a nice addition. The soup calls for 3 cups of liquid (2 cups of water, 1 cup of tomato juice). Enhance with extra broth by adding 1 bouillon cube with 1-cup water. V-8 juice can be used in place of the tomato juice for a little extra zest. You can substitute vegetable broth for the beef broth, if desired. After making the soup, remove from heat, cover and cool for 1 hour on the stovetop. Reheat gently and serve. The extra time on the stovetop gives flavors a chance to meld.
4 tablespoons Butter, solid
1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
3 Carrots, peeled and diced
2 Celery Stalks, diced
1 small White Onion, diced
3 Beef Bouillon Cubes
2 cups Cold Water
1 cup Tomato Juice
2 medium size Potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup Fresh Green Beans, chopped
1/2 cup Green Lima Beans
1/2 cup Whole Kernel Corn
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
3 large Tomatoes, chopped
1. Melt butter in large skillet over low heat. Add diced bell pepper, carrots, celery, and onion to melt butter.
2. Sauté until vegetables are tender and onion browns lightly.
3. Add beef bouillon cubes, cold water, and tomato juice to large stockpot. Heat over medium heat.
4. Add the sautéed vegetables to the stockpot.
5. Stir in diced potatoes, chopped green beans, lima beans, and whole kernel corn.
6. Cover stockpot and simmer 45 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add the salt and pepper.
9. Remove 2 cups of the vegetable soup and add to blender. Puree until smooth, and pour back into stockpot. Stir to combine.
10. Remove soup from heat, cover and let soup sit for 30 minutes.